Apply for Visa
International students require a Non-Immigrant Education Visa (Category “ED”) to study in Thailand. Whenever possible, applicants should apply for their student visa well in advance of departing for Thailand. Applications should be made in person at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home country. To apply for this type of visa, students must submit the following documents to the Visa Section at a Royal Thai Embassy:
1. A passport or travel documents valid for not less than six months
2. A completed visa application form
3. Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
4. Recommendation letter addressed to the Consulate
5. Letter of acceptance from the concerned academic institute/organization
6. Academic record and the Student ID (if currently studying)
7. Visa application fee.
Remark: Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary
VALIDITY OF A VISA
The validity of a visa is 3 months.
Students can extend their student visa before its expiry date by submitting the following documentation:
1. Visa extension form TM.7
2. Letter of certification from VRU (in Thai)
3. A photocopy of the passport
4. One recent 4 x 6 cm full-face photo
5. Tuition fee receipt
6. Grade report
The visa extension fee is 1,900 Baht. Students should notify the IRD’s staff at least two weeks before the expiry date to allow enough time to prepare the required documents and procure the authorized signatures.
Once the Immigration Bureau has admitted students into the country, their passport will be stamped with the conditions of entry. One such condition is the 90-Day Notification. There is a 2,000 Baht fine for a late 90-Day notification. Current 90-Day Notification information is also available from the staff at IRD.